Popular Posts

Saturday 2 January 2021

Fully Received

 

Staying at home has led us to perusing some of those cookbooks which are filled with recipes requiring skill and time. First Mhairi, and then Doug, chose to bake cakes from a lovely Parisian cookbook Jamie gave me years ago. Both turned out delicious; both required upwards of two hours in the kitchen.

As Doug piped the chocolate mousse onto the vanilla mousse in the Advent Ring cake he was making for Hogmanay, the star tip became jammed with a shard of un-melted chocolate. A vigorous twiddle up the spout with a toothpick unblocked the way and with an almighty whoosh, the soft mousse responded to Doug’s strong pushes. It gushed out in a tsunami of luxurious richness. Turns out it was important to fully melt the chocolate before folding it into the mousse.

I sit in my prayer window, following a routine of readings and trying to listen to what God has to say to me. I sense that there are times when I don’t wait long enough. I catch a phrase or two of what he is saying, and rather than lingering in the moment to ensure the rich truth has been fully ‘melted’ into my psyche and received by me, I rush off into my day.

For instance, sensing his encouragement to witness more to my faith, I might find myself blurting out something inappropriately which overwhelms a listener rather than enlightening or encouraging her.

Or, I might realise that I’ve ignored something he said, and so I twiddle about endeavouring to incorporate it into my words and actions. The blockage cleared, the rich truth can gush out in a tidal wave which may overwhelm the moment.

Praying that as I enter this new year, I will wait patiently for the Lord, so that the rich truths he wants to fold into my life will be fully received before they are acted upon in my own puny strength and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment