Popular Posts

Monday 18 January 2021

Hitchin a Ride

 

I look up from my desk at the breaking day, and a song from the late 60’s drops into my mind. ‘A thumb goes up, a car goes by, it’s nearly 1 am and here am I, hitchin’ a ride, hitchin’ a ride…’ In 1970, my sister Judy and I spent three months travelling through Europe, hitch-hiking, and this was our theme song. Memories flood my mind, and I smile.

We had a rough plan of travel, and reservations in youth hostels in the big cities like Amsterdam, London and Vienna. How we moved from one city to the next was a daily adventure. We might take a different route from planned, depending on who picked us up. At times we sped along roads in swish cars; more frequently we trundled along in banana lorries. We grew to prefer the latter, as there was reliability and no undercurrent of caution when we were in the cab of a lorry due somewhere by a certain time.

Over thirteen weeks, we covered a lot of miles. We were exhausted and elated, laughed and cried, met many fascinating individuals, and relied on each other more than we’d ever done before. A special chapter in my life’s journey.

So as the sun comes up today, there are many trains of thought I can board. I can take my thoughts on board with Martin Luther King, as it’s his day today, and give thanks for him, and for all others, who risk their lives and pay high prices for truth and justice. I can bump along on a lorry loaded with anxieties over all the challenges facing society and the world today, with fear and apprehension as companions. I can board the bullet train of Jesus and enjoy the panorama while he keeps my eyes fixed on him, while he keeps my efforts focused on working for mercy, justice and peace, and campaigning for action on environmental issues.

I suspect that as the day progresses, my thoughts will ride on many trains, and my actions will reflect that. I pray that my journey this day will bring encouragement and hope, and keep me trusting in Jesus to bring all things right.

As our three-month adventure drew to a close, Judy and I were excited to get back home where Dad and Mom would provide security and love. We’d had an amazing time, but we were a little world-weary. I sense the same excitement heading towards my eternal home.

No comments:

Post a Comment