Popular Posts

Friday 25 June 2021

De-Cluttering my life

 

Another cookbook in the bag for a charity shop. I’m determined, even though slow, to de-clutter. I started with something over which I have sole control: my cookbooks. Nobody can dash in and claim a reason for hanging on to something we never use and possibly don’t even like.

The rich young man was challenged to sell all he had and follow Jesus. He couldn’t let go. I think I could let go of most things of monetary value; it is those things that drag on the heart, that remind me of a lost loved one or a moment in time, which I struggle to relinquish. Anchored in the past by such touchstones: do I really need things to revive memories? Well, to be honest, yes, sometimes I do. Sometimes I forget details and delights which bring a smile or a chuckle or a stray tear, which make another person vibrant in my mind again. I am wearing a bracelet today which was given to me by the wife of a cousin. It is delicate and beautiful and makes me smile when I remember her kindness, her love and her care for my mother.

Jesus challenges us to let go of the things which stand between us and him, the things which we value over his love. Some of the things we possess serve to reflect aspects of his love as seen and experienced through relationships past and present.

I want to sell or give away all those things whose value is only monetary, not practical or sentimental. But those things which serve to remind me of loved ones near and far, then and now: I’m not going to rush to declutter them from my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment