Popular Posts

Tuesday 1 June 2021

Few Peas

 

The seed tray is disappointingly sparse. Although I planted two dozen or so peas in it a couple of weeks ago, only half a dozen have sprouted and are growing. Eventually I worked out my mistake. Two mistakes, really. First, I used the wrong compost. I just grabbed an open bag, and then realised, too late, that it was coarse and gritty, not at all soft and pliant as it should be. I guess it is for potting on rather than sowing. Second, I forgot to soak the dried peas overnight. They went into the wrong soil, unprepared. Few have sprouted. Few will produce any peas.

So yesterday I started again. I filled a seed tray with Miracle Grow seed compost. I watered it, and I soaked the peas – way too many, it turns out – overnight. They are now in the soil, warming in the conservatory, and I fully expect to see quick results.

Jesus drew analogies between his Kingdom and his followers and soils, seeds and growth. I received several insights last week, when we pulled out of the norm and into a retreat and took time to listen to what he was saying to me. He planted seeds in my heart, in my mind, in my spirit.

Back in my day-to-day environment and routine, there is a danger that I neglect them.

Today I pray that his seeds fall on rich soil within me. I pray that I allow warm sunlight and refreshing water to tease those seeds into life, that the growth will be luxurious and nourishing to myself and others. May I nurture a contemplative mind which continues to consider his truths even as I garden, cook, and go about other mundane activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment