Popular Posts

Wednesday 23 June 2021

Re-wilding my Faith

 

When Joseph met his brothers in Egypt years after they’d sold him to the slave traders, he eventually revealed to them who he was. As they cowered in fear at the probable retribution he would dish out to them, he spoke words of reassurance instead. What you intended for harm, he said, God used for good. He turned the situation around, using Joseph to prepare a way of salvation for the Jewish nation during a severe famine.

 

Right after Jesus was baptised by John, the Holy Spirit led him into the wilderness. In the wilderness, there was risk: risk of wild animals, risk of heatstroke, risk of loneliness. In the wilderness, there are no familiar crutches on which to lean. There is nobody on whom to call. Except God.

 

In the wilderness, Jesus not only drew near to his Father, he also gained a new perspective on the situation in the church of his day, the Temple with all its rules and rituals. He emerged from the wilderness forty days later, prepared to challenge some of the assumptions he may previously not have questioned.

 

Zoom church is, for me, a spectator event. I feel disengaged and distant. It has been, and continues to be, a wilderness experience. But as churches begin to re-open, I am thinking that what the pandemic took away, God has redeemed. Unfulfilled by the church experience, I found myself in a wilderness with only God on whom to lean. I have found my perspective changing.

 

He has, and still is, calling me to re-wild my faith. To truly base my faith and actions on my relationship with him, rather than any expectations or regulations from human institutions. What does this look like? What will it look like eventually?

 

I don’t know. But I feel like I, and maybe many others, are limping out of a wilderness, with faith still intact, even stronger than ever, but maybe appearing a little unkempt. There was not only risk in the wilderness; there was opportunity for creative thinking, for questions and growth.

 

The journey continues.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment