Popular Posts

Wednesday 9 June 2021

Soft Rain

 

What’s that noise?

The soft tapping of a gentle rain brushes the windows. We have enjoyed several days of sunshine. I have revelled in the warmth, even as I dragged watering cans round the seedlings to ensure they didn’t die of thirst.

The rain falls on the parched earth, swelling the potatoes, strengthening the roots of the broccoli, encouraging the carrot seeds to sprout. Although I love the uninterrupted sunshine, today I welcome this light rain, as it frees me from responsibility to keep these things alive.

Frees me from responsibility. So often I feel and act as if things depend on me and my efforts. I sense this morning that God is relieving me of that burden. It’s a burden he didn’t create me to carry. He created me, and you, to depend on him, to entrust our anxieties to him and to be set free from fear.

As he waters the earth for me today, may he also be in my words and in my actions, bringing refreshment and life to those I encounter. May his Spirit in me revive those who thirst, those whose heads hang low, those who mourn or fear.

‘The Lord your God is with you; he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you; he will quiet you with his love; he will rejoice over you with singing.’ (Zephaniah 3:17)

As you stand on the parched ground of disappointment, of difficult situations, of challenging circumstances, of awkward relationships, may the love of the Lord sprinkle down on you and revive you. May you hear his voice of love rejoicing over you with singing. And may you receive his peace, knowing you are special, you are loved, you are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment