Popular Posts

Wednesday 11 January 2023

Never Rains

 

It never rains in southern California, Albert Hammond crooned in the early 70s. Tell that to those who have just spent two weeks holidaying there, dashing out between rain showers and being saturated by downpours.

People make their plans, but the Lord determines their steps. There are so many things outwith our control: that’s a lesson I really took on board during the pandemic, and I suppose it is a bass line to every plan I create these days. There is an uncertainty in life which has revealed itself in all its stark harshness over these past few years.

So the sun is shining today. True, there is a bite in the wind, but I will focus on the sun today. As I look into the calendar of the upcoming year, I am beginning to make loose plans, but with an awareness that these may alter with circumstances.

May God give us all the gift of planning for the future while fully embracing the moment. May he bless us with hope and expectation of good things, and enable us to share the load of unspoken fears with him. ‘For my yoke is easy,’ Jesus promises, ‘and my burden is light.’

No comments:

Post a Comment