Popular Posts

Friday 27 January 2023

The 'hood

 

I wonder, can I refer to my rural location as ‘the ‘hood’? I guess it’s my ‘hood, so why not, even if there are more feathered inhabitants than human.

As Mary and I stepped carefully along the slippery road this morning, we saw another resident of our ‘hood approaching. Belinda held the lead of ‘Robert’, a young lurcher who they were thinking of rehoming. As we approached, I spoke a welcome to Robert, who growled quietly. I didn’t hear malice in the growl, just uncertainty, maybe, or nervousness.

He’s too skittish, too strong and too big for us, Belinda said. We can’t really handle him so he has to go back, hopefully to a younger family who have the energy and strength.

I fully understand. One must be wise in choices as our own strengths wane. But Mary’s heart melted, and I felt bad, for poor, homeless Robert. Rejected for his size, his strength, and his unpredictability.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the unconditional love of God. Despite our own ‘thrawn-ness’, he loves us. Despite our own determination to do it our own way, he loves us. Despite our critical attitudes, our selfish desires, and our harsh words, he loves us.

He won’t reject any of us who come to him in faith – however weak – and hope – however wavering.

My hope and my strength is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth. In Jesus, we are all united, whatever ‘hood we inhabit. As I thought of our dear ones in Brisbane, and my beloved Mom in Los Angeles, and us here in Scotland, I thought of the perimeter support of a big top tent extending right round the world to all three regions. The canopy then is drawn up into a central point, creating a protective roof.

Jesus is the central point uniting us all. His arms extend loving protection over us all. Praise Him that no matter where we are, we are all connected, all related through Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment