Popular Posts

Tuesday 20 June 2017

The Hills and Heaven



I lift my eyes to the hills. Where does my help come from? Not the hills, that’s for sure! But saying that, I often feel closer to God when out in nature, perhaps on hills, and his quiet reassuring voice of peace penetrates deeper there than in the melee of life.

I’ve been thinking about heaven, because I was asked to share some thoughts on what I consider to be ‘divine’ in ordinary life, and as I began to think I realised just how often heaven intersects earth and offers a sneak preview. There are the spectacular intersections which we can visit: I’ve been blessed to see the Grand Canyon and to snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef, and both of those experiences felt like ‘thin places’ where the consummate handiwork of God was visible in its raw form. Then there are the more everyday but still awesome sights of rainbows (I love them!), dramatic clouds and skies, herds of deer on the hills or a dog just let off the lead and running free. But I suppose these are just backdrops for what is really heaven, and that is when relationships are good, when love is visible and when words can be few. 

I lift my eyes to the hills, and remember who made them, and give him my love and my worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment