Popular Posts

Wednesday 14 April 2021

Mirror, mirror

 

An accidental bump broke off the passenger side mirror. A minor impact. Maybe glue it back? It can’t be that hard …

Turns out, it can. The side mirror is more than it would seem to be. There are wires and bits of plastic, necessitating the removal of the inside of the car’s door panel, some welding, some new bits.

Live without it? That compromises safety: not a good idea.

Jesus told Peter, ‘follow me’. Three times he said it, after eliciting declarations of love for him. Follow me. On that traumatic night, while Peter crouched by a fire and awaited news of his arrested Lord, he was challenged. He was charged with being with Jesus, the prisoner. No, he swore. Not me. You’ve got the wrong man.

Jesus, heading at speed towards his dreadful death, checked his mirrors. He saw that Peter, who had been following, had dropped back into a lay-by, taken a detour. And that bothered him. The author of the parable of the lost sheep came back, met Peter on the shore, and gave him another chance.

If you love me, you’ll follow me, he told him.

He’s checking his side mirrors today. He’s headed one way in my life, another way in yours, and encouraging us to follow him. Because he keeps his eyes both forward and back, he won’t lose any of us dithering cowards. He keeps his mirrors working. He knows what’s going on, and he asks each of us today: Do you love me? Follow me.

And he’s off.

I’m so grateful that if I falter by the wayside, if I (or maybe that should read, ‘when I’) stop for a picnic and am distracted by the world, Jesus will circle back and, with mercy and grace, get me back on the path. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment