Popular Posts

Friday 9 April 2021

Gratitude

 

The sun is up early and there is no whining wind squeezing through the window gaps this morning. The conservatory is already warming up. The sweet peas have sprouted and are shooting upwards.

Yesterday I speed-read a book suggesting a plan for practicing gratitude. Before reading it, I might have thought I was a pretty grateful person. Now, however, I recognise that although I have frequent moments of gratitude, my over-all attitude can reflect a negative thought-pattern which is indicative of complaint and even self-pity.

So, today I have started her 28-day plan of practicing gratitude every day until it is truly embedded in my life. I hope that others will notice a difference. Already, I noticed a difference, having started the day by counting ten blessings, saying why I was grateful for them, and thanking God for each one three times. That is a daily routine so I will be looking in depth at the blessings in my life. Instead of rushing back to my room to have a quiet time with God, after breakfast I spent half an hour with one of my blessings, Felicity, making an aqua-beads unicorn with her. I seized the moment before they left to meet up with friends (outside, socially distanced, masked, etc etc).

Then when I read the account of the walk on the road to Emmaus, I thought about Jesus walking alongside me always, and how often I don’t recognise him or even acknowledge him. Although that is a story about a walk, I thought about the marathon we’ve all been running during this pandemic. I know I have been flagging, and I sense that has been coming through in what I’ve posted.

Today, I have been given a second wind. That wind is the breath of God, without which I would have no hope. What am I thankful for? A million things, but most of all, our loving God.

I’ve never been a runner, but maybe even I can sprint now…

No comments:

Post a Comment