Popular Posts

Friday 18 August 2023

My eyes on the Hills

 

I lift my eyes to the hills … and if a major company and the local landlord have their way, my eyes will see fourteen of the biggest wind turbines in the UK whirring away night and day, generating electricity for which there is no infrastructure to carry the electricity to its destination, hundreds of miles south in England. The turbines will enable a lot of self-congratulatory back-patting in Holyrood and fill the pockets of a few investors, but they won’t help with our energy needs for years.

There is a programme on Radio 4 called The Moral Maze, in which various experts debate issues which present us with moral conundrums. There are so many, like the wind farm proposals for the Hill of Fare. I’m all for green energy, but sensible solutions which actually address the urgent problems now.

Jesus compared some of the leaders of his day to whitewashed tombs, looking good on the outside but inside full of corruption. Praying today for political leaders across the world, that they would be cleansed of any self-aggrandizement and pride, and built up in integrity and wisdom.

We live in precarious times. I am so grateful that when I lift my eyes to the hills, I know that my help is in the name of the Lord, the ultimate source of clean energy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment