Popular Posts

Thursday 3 August 2023

Influencers

 

The garage ceiling caught my eye as I got out of the car. Newly sheathed in plaster-board a year or two ago, time ran out and it never got painted. I resisted an urge to open a bucket of paint and roll it on.

The work around a house is never done.

Jesus told his disciples the poor will always be with us.

I am doing a devotional called The Reservoir, from Renovare, looking at spiritual formation. (Thank you, Susan Fyvie, for recommending it!) I’m only on Day 3, but already I’m impacted by its call to look at who/what influences me the most. I’m recognising that one driving force in my life is the amount of work that is never done, from cleaning to tidying to gardening to painting to decluttering … I’m seeing that because I have been living a life driven by the work I know is crying out to be done, I am in danger of losing my joy.

So, I’m carving out time to sit and read a novel. I’m trying to make more time to sit with God in a book, in the Bible, in prayer or in quiet companionship, ignoring a cadence trying to drive me back to the coal face of jobs waiting to be done.

Be still and know that I am God.

May I abide in Jesus more and more every day, learning the unforced rhythms of grace, delighting in the gifts he gives. May I live from the heart of God, and not from the hearth of a protestant work ethic.

No comments:

Post a Comment