Popular Posts

Friday 11 August 2023

Before I created you ...

 

As a child, I had a sensory memory whose power unfortunately faded as I grew older. I believed that I remembered feeling the hands of God on my little body as he created me. They were hands of love, and they made me feel secure and safe.

I learned, as I grew up, that mine was a difficult birth. My right arm was raised above my head, so the doctor had to stop everything while he manipulated my arm into a correct place for the birth: otherwise, my mother said, there was a risk of my having a withered right arm. Once things were righted, Dr Dunbar used forceps and hands to get me out. Poor Mom.

I went through a period of mild disappointment, realising that the sensory memory I treasured was probably a memory of the skilled hands of Dr Dunbar, rather than the loving hands of God.

No longer am I disappointed, though, as I recognise that Jesus uses our hands, our voices, our feet, to do his work on earth. They may have looked like the hands of Dr Dunbar, but his hands were gloved in the loving hands of Jesus.

When we were ‘expecting’ grandchildren, I cross-stitched a piece for each baby to come. As I cross-stitched, I prayed and asked for a word for that baby. I wrote them down and now, most days, I pray them in. Four months before Greg was born, the Lord declared that ‘the hands that deliver this baby will not be human, but divine’. His was a difficult birth, too, with possible ramifications for his life. He is completely healthy, unaffected by the circumstances. He, too, was delivered by the hands of God.

May I use my body today to do the work Jesus has prepared for me to do. May my voice speak words of life. May my actions bring relief and comfort. May my prayers be heard in heaven, and my expectations of miracles be met.

Before I created you in the womb, God says, I knew you.

Wow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment