Popular Posts

Tuesday 8 August 2023

Subtle Shades

 

Subtle shades of russet begin to tinge the leaves of the sycamore tree I can see rising above the steadings. A wind blusters the bushes and trees surrounding the house, carrying with it an edge of autumnal temperatures.

The summer has not been hot for us. After an initial burst of warmth, we have waited, waited, for the return of its welcome embrace. But it has yet to come.

Seasons do not always adhere to the playlist we think they should. Neither do the seasons of life. Some stretch longer than we thought they would. Some are truncated, and we have moved on before we felt we were ready.

‘My life on earth is so brief,’ wrote the psalmist in Psalm 119:19, ‘so tutor me in the ways of your wisdom.’

Things come up in life which can challenge our plans, our assumptions. Opportunities. Other peoples’ needs. Illness. Bereavement.

‘I’m a stranger in these parts,’ The Message renders this verse, ‘give me clear directions.’

I am so grateful to have a Lord who never leaves me to my own devices, but is always with me, whispering his guidance. I may not always hear it, and may not always be open to obeying, but he continues to accompany nevertheless.

Thank you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment