Popular Posts

Friday 9 December 2011

Shorts and T-Shirt in December


I shouldn’t write this. It will bring another influx of immigrants into CA. But it is gorgeous today. Cold overnight, but warm out there right now.

Came down from Mhairi’s this morning. 43 miles, gridlock for ten of them. How do the Angelenos do it?  Mhairi knows someone who commutes 2 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the evening. What a way to spend a life!

A car carrier pulled alongside me in the congestion, carrying a load of 60s cars. My era. On the bottom, a mustang in USC colors, cardinal and gold. On the upper deck, a van from the 60s handpainted with all sorts of flower power pictures and words like Peace and Love. 

I was wondering where it was going. And where are the ageing hippies who once painted those words and hung out together in a drug-fueled haze? 

Who would want these vintage pieces which once graced these freeways and were so familiar to me?

Then I pulled alongside the cab. Picture Cars. Aha. The movies. Of course. I wonder which studio he was headed for.

LA is quite a place. Full of so many people, and so many of them empty, lonely as blotting paper, reading to draw near to anyone who is leaking compassion or friendliness. A sad place and yet so beautiful. So full of creative people, people with energy and drive to get things done. 

I love it, and I hate it. 

I wonder what God’s heart for LA is.

No comments:

Post a Comment