Popular Posts

Thursday 10 March 2016

Groovin'


I'm of the vintage that remembers vinyl records well. If a record got scratched, it would get stuck repeating the same musical phrase until someone physically lifted the needle and replaced it on the other side of the scratch.

Dementia seems to me like a vinyl record with a scratch. Some ideas and phrases just get stuck in a scratched fold of memory and get repeated, while the sufferer is oblivious to it. Carers and loved ones field the same questions and respond to the same voiced fears and frustrations again and again. It is tiring and can be hurtful if the ideas express distorted realities which can be very personal.

I am the beginning and the end, Jesus said. Behold I make all things new.

There was no way to repair a scratched vinyl record, as far as I remember. Without Jesus' intervention, there is no way to repair a dementia sufferer's scratched brain (yet).

Jesus promised that he is coming soon, and he will make all things new. No brains stuck in a scratch, endlessly voicing fears and imaginary scenarios of unkindness and injustices.

When he comes, we will all be groovin' again.

Yes, that is my vintage. And that is my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment