Popular Posts

Wednesday 21 October 2020

A Wilting Flower

 

A wilting flower languishes in front of me, leaning out of the Winnie-the-Pooh cup. It was on its last legs when Greg picked it, but in his eyes, it was still a beautiful hot pink-coloured flower which he proudly gave me. We found a suitable ‘vase’ and it brightens the table.

I look at the flower and I see Greg, charging round the garden looking for flowers to give me. I hear his happy chatter as he mixed potions and made me a supper and a cup of tea. I smile.

My morning quiet times are not always rich and fulfilling. Sometimes I’m distracted, rushed, or entertaining emotions or thoughts other than focusing on God. But even when my offering to God is like a wilting flower, I sense that he loves it. He knows the desire of my heart is to hear from him, and though my hearing is often impaired, still he treasures the imperfect gifts I offer him.

We are in the season of Thanksgiving, and as the holiday approaches next month, I challenge myself to thank God multiple times during each day, to thank him for things big and small. Right now, I thank him for this wilting flower on my table, reminding me of the love of a precious grandson.

No comments:

Post a Comment