Popular Posts

Tuesday 13 October 2020

Wounded World Healed

 

I am nearly 70, and yet I have never sung in a choir. When I was about 10, I auditioned for the school glee club and was turned down, which undermined my confidence for years…

Well, I’ve signed up for the church Christmas choir (virtual), and am, for the first time in my life, trying to learn the alto 1 part. It’s not difficult. It’s just different from anything I’ve done before. The song is beautiful, and if I can manage the technology to record it and send that in, it will be amazing to see a gathered group of believers singing together in harmony, without ever practicing together.

It’s all led to me thinking about the music of creation. Googling that, I discovered that the ancient Hebrews, and Pythagoras (of theorem fame), believed that the heavenly bodies not only ‘sing’ as they twirl and whirl through space, but that the planets are set apart in the same ratios as pleasing musical intervals.

CS Lewis, in his Narnia tales, imagined Aslan creating the universe by singing. It seems that might not be such a fanciful notion, and that just blows my mind! I love the picture of God singing away in joyful abandon and as a result, creation is born.

I have always loved the verse in Zephaniah 3:17: The Lord delights over you with singing. What an amazing gift he has given us – the gift of joining together in song, in worship. Who knows what harmonies he might create through the human voice raised in praise to him?

During these challenging and dark days, may our voices unite in singing praises to the God of peace, the God of justice, the God of mercy, the God who saves, and through our singing, may he heal this wounded world.

No comments:

Post a Comment