Popular Posts

Monday 19 October 2020

Refresh the Page

 

Refresh the page. Sometimes a computer screen freezes, and only resumes functionality when the page is refreshed or the computer is re-started.

Things have changed here, as we have welcomed family to share our home while they are transitioning, awaiting the autumn of the virus and a lifting of restrictions. So my prayer corner is literally a corner this morning, and I am facing a concertina wall installation whose protruding prongs hold my collection of necklaces.

Precious necklaces. Not the kind a thief would relish. But to me, irreplaceable. The small sapphire Don brought back from a business trip to Hong Kong, over thirty years ago. An amber rope from Russia; a Jet necklace from Whitby: anniversary trips and gifts during our many years of marriage. The gold filigree butterfly which my mother’s brothers and sisters bought for my sister when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. The turquoise rope Don and I bought on a trip to Arizona, when we needed chains to visit the Grand Canyon so had to postpone that visit until a later date. Necklaces chosen with love and care by my sons and daughter on different occasions: two red hearts, a cluster of three silver ‘tear-drops’, a small amethyst, a turquoise daisy. A couple of sparkly ones from my mother, and three crosses of varying sizes. And a chunky wooden adornment crafted for me by Felicity.

When I put on one of these necklaces, I remember. I remember the givers; I think of the significance; I savour the memories.

God instructed his people to write down his commandments and wear them, so they would remember what he told them, so they would remember him and would live.

Jesus gave us an upgrade. He died to give us his Holy Spirit living within us, reminding us of his love, of his standards, of his faithfulness. He removed our hearts of stone and replaced them with hearts of flesh. What was on the outside, has been internalised because of Jesus’ love and sacrifice.

On this busy Monday morning, I am grateful for that upgrade. I am grateful that I don’t have to wear anything particular wrapped round my neck. And I am aware that inviting the Holy Spirit to fill me again is an essential part of my morning ritual.

My prayer focus has been refreshed, but my God is still the same. Always with me, whispering his words of love and guidance. On this Monday, I am grateful. Oh, so grateful.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment