Popular Posts

Thursday 8 October 2020

Big Branch Down

 

Agonisingly slowly, the outsized lorry with a hydraulic lifting arm reversed down the drive, underneath the low-hanging canopy of trees, to deliver a couple tons of sand in two ‘bags’. Having successfully accomplished his task, the driver drove off confidently – and his truck ripped off a branch of one of the beautiful Norwegian elm trees. Now there is an ugly scar where that substantial branch used to be. That scar will be visible for the rest of the life of the tree.

Today, Mhairi and I walked our route, which we’ve not done for a few days because of the heavy rains. As we rounded a bend through the ‘enchanted forest’, we saw the path ahead was obstructed by another fallen branch. Probably the heavy rains had weighed the long branch down, and perhaps there was a bit of rot where it emerged from the trunk, so that the tree could no longer support it. The branch cracked off, and in crashing down it tore another branch off, too.

God is faithful, and he is loving. He is our gardener, and when we submit to his regular pruning, we are saved from violent crashes which tear at the heart of our being. Pruning may be painful, but God’s pruning isn’t destructive. Instead, it encourages new growth, fresh buds.

I don’t want to wait until I have developed a destructive habit which eats into who I am, and takes part of me with it when it finally comes down. Instead, I ask God to nip all these negative things in the bud, and shape me to be who he created me to be, a child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment