Popular Posts

Thursday 22 October 2020

Fall Colours

 

Mom said how blessed they were in southern California with great weather. I agreed, and then countered that we are blessed here with glorious autumnal showstopping colours.

After our conversation, I decided to collect a few fallen leaves of varying shades and pop them in a card to brighten her day. I left them in a kitchen window and watched them dry out and curl and then it dawned on me: if I put those into an envelope, by the time they go through the franking machines and various hands between Scotland and California, they will be nothing but a shower of confetti pieces which will have lost all shape and beauty.

I turned to google and learned how to press them first, in a heavy book. Fittingly, I put them in the leaves of an ancient family Bible Don has, huge and heavy. When they are dry, I’ll send them, and hope they arrive looking as lovely as they do now.

As I walk through my life, events colour me. Time ages me and I can become brittle, and the beauty of wisdom and experience can harden into the ugliness of arrogant prejudice and presumption. I need to be pressed every day, pressed every day in God’s good book, so that I retain a humility and openness, a thirst for learning and a delight in this good world God has created. So that I can give joy to others, and not irritation.

The world can be a hard place, and if we let it, the years can warp and twist us until we fall apart in brittle little bits. Only as I bring myself to God regularly and let his love embrace me, will I be able to remain supple and reflect his glorious colours of love, joy, peace and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment