Popular Posts

Sunday 25 October 2020

I Confess

 

 I confess. I did enjoy an extra hour in bed, despite yesterday’s blog.

So this afternoon, I decided to grab that hour back and give it to God. So far, I’m just a quarter of the way there. I read my reading, which was from John, about the woman at the well. I thought about it, and then I thought about our church service this morning.

That led to a complaint. ‘I am so sick of Zooming to church,’ I moaned. ‘Everyone is at arm’s distance; there is no way to sense what anyone is feeling; silences are empty and uncomfortable; conversation is stilted as we’re all so aware that if more than one speaks at a time, it becomes a garbled mess that nobody can follow.’

Then, much as in the encounter Tony Stephen described in his sermon this morning (Banchory West Church), I sensed words coming back to me. ‘I know what you mean,’ God said. ‘You zip into your quiet space, rattle through your routine, pause a minute or two and Zoom off.’

How often my time with God is as distanced as a Zoom service can feel! Mhairi spent two hours Zooming with a good friend the other night. They each had a glass of wine. I could hear the joy, the laughter, and afterwards Mhairi said it almost felt like they were together. They had set aside time, chosen a beverage, and relaxed together. Both were refreshed, energised, encouraged.

I think that’s more the type of prayer God longs for me to give him. So I’m off now, with a glass of water (it’s mid-afternoon), for the other 45 minutes. I’ll let you know tomorrow how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment