Popular Posts

Friday 9 October 2020

Refuge

 

Under a pile of branches and leaves, Don found a sleeping hedgehog. In the narrow attic spaces of our house, Doug found the desiccated remains of long-dead rodents, and many large and lively spiders.

Refuge. Everyone needs a place of refuge to shelter from the storms. Sometimes it is physical shelter we need. Sometimes emotional shelter. Sometimes spiritual shelter. At the moment, probably we all need all of the above!

The other night, I became sucked into a political debate. Both sides believed that they were speaking from God’s perspective.

Psalm 37 ends, ‘The Lord helps them and delivers them; he delivers them from the wicked and saves them, because they take refuge in him.’

This morning, I wonder just how that works. Were both sides of that debate taking refuge in God – or were both or one side relying more on presumptions and the advice of others they respect?

Today, Lord, may I really take refuge in you. Keep me from arrogant assumptions. Give me your perspective, so that I can see clearly. Today, Lord, may I act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment