Popular Posts

Saturday 24 October 2020

An extra hour

The clocks change tonight. Spring forward, fall back. Hurray!

 An extra hour added to my life! What will I do with that one precious hour? What will you do?

How often I have said, ‘Oh yes! An extra hour in bed!’ In the cold light of day, I wonder why I would value time in bed over other things – perhaps listening to music, reading a poem or a novel, talking with someone I love? It doesn’t make sense. Carpe diem!

During the isolating restrictions of covid-19, there are probably many who don’t want extra hours. Extra hours of loneliness, of boredom perhaps, of sadness: extra hours to fill. People are weary; many are depressed.

One route to restoration is to use that extra hour to draw near to God. To talk with him openly and honestly. He has loved us ‘with an everlasting love’. His promise is to give us rest, to rebuild us, to give us back joy and dancing. He forgives everything, and gives us his Holy Spirit to inspire and guide us to make good decisions. Jesus’ promise is to never leave us, and he doesn’t.

I hope to use my extra hour to remind myself of these promises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment